Deadline for submission: April 30, 2022
MassEnergize seeks an energetic individual with a demonstrated commitment to addressing climate change to serve as our Executive Director. This is an exciting opportunity to empower local leaders to make a measurable difference on the most existential issue of our time. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for executing MassEnergize’s vision, leading and managing its volunteers and staff, coordinating fundraising efforts, and strategically scaling our work. They will be the public voice of MassEnergize and engage with our communities, funders, and partner organizations.
MassEnergize is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all our work to address the climate emergency. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
The Executive Director will work with our motivated, innovative, and supportive core team and passionate local leaders who are driving real change.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with preference for those received by April 30, 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic direction and relationships
- Develop and implement operational plans, policies, and goals that further the MassEnergize strategic objectives
- Advise our board in setting strategic direction
- Grow our efforts to partner with organizations working directly with environmental justice communities, to learn from them if/how we can make their work more impactful.
- Nurture a diverse range of strategic partnerships
- Fundraise to support and to expand the annual and long-term budget.
- Manage donor relationships, including engagement and appreciation
- Research and assist in applications for grant opportunities and in fundraising campaigns.
- Record donations and run reports as needed for the bookkeeper, Treasurer and core team
- Community engagement efforts
- Represent MassEnergize at speaking engagements
- Convene monthly meetings of our Community of Practice of 15+ communities and organizations
- Guide and facilitate sharing of information and best practices between communities
- Educate our board, staff and community leaders to facilitate climate solutions that actively redress historic inequities, and that make our cities and towns more just and inclusive.
- Manage training of new community members to use the MassEnergize web platform
- Program management
- Provide comprehensive support for day-to-day activities of MassEnergize
- Manage and delegate tasks to 4-6 core volunteers and 1-2 interns
- Alert Board and President to potential problems and work cooperatively with the President, Board, and relevant stakeholders to ensure prompt resolutions
- Manage design of promotional materials and advertising
- Prioritize development of new materials and software offerings based on communities’ needs and preferences
- Manage content generation and project management efforts, for example:
- A marketing checklist/calendar for outreach via social media, print media, partner organization announcements and other means of publicizing campaigns
- Playbooks for organizing community events such as library speakers, farmer’s market tabling, and location visits (congregations, schools, community centers, etc.) on a range of topics
- New content ideas for the web platform (text and images)
- Several years of experience working directly with environmental or climate-related issues in a non-profit (preferred), public or private sector setting. Comparable experience will also be considered.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities working with boards, organizations, or coalitions
- Success in fundraising including grant funding and/or individual donor gifts
- Staff and budget management experience
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Self-initiation of tasks and the ability to succeed with minimal oversight
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional oral and written communications
- Solutions-focused, extremely collaborative personality
- Proficiency in or ability to self-teach web platforms and software such as Google apps, Mailchimp, etc.
- Experience working with under-served/front line communities
- Experience with grassroots organizing, public policy, or advocacy
- Marketing experience
- Training and communication experience
- Experience working with volunteers
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language
- Experience using one or more popular social media platforms
- Experience with web technologies, such as Google Ads, Google Analytics, Slack, GitHub, Canva or other graphic software, CRM systems, WordPress
Hours and Compensation
We offer flexible work hours and remote work with occasional in-person meetings. Some evening and weekend work hours are required.
Hours: 32-40 hours per week
Annual Salary: $60,000-$80,000 depending on experience and hours/week
Starting: April-June, 2022
Location: Massachusetts - virtual workplace with occasional in person meetings in Metrowest Boston, MA
MassEnergize is an equal opportunity employer seeking to diversify its staff and leadership team. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
MassEnergize does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.